|Foggintor is a short and easy walk from Princetown.
One of the major granite quarries on Dartmoor, the tor at Foggintor was
virtually quarried away between the 1800s and early 1900s leaving little
evidence of its existence. The extensive quarries at Foggintor provided
work for at least 300 men by the 1840s. Before the building of the nearby
Princetown to Plymouth railway line the quarried granite was transported
via a horse drawn tramway. Granite from here was used for the construction
of London's Nelson's Column. The site included many buildings including
an office, a manager’s house, workers cottages, a foundry, a smithy,
stables, a powder store and a chapel. The quarry ceased operations in 1938
and is now filled with water. Care should be taken when exploring the quarry
as the quarry is unfenced with sheer cliffs.