The Trelissick estate stands at the head of the estuary of the River Fal near the King Harry Ferry below Trelissick which takes cars and passengers across the estuary. There has been a ferry operating here for at least 500 years with a chain operated ferry being established in 1888 on the site of an older man-powered propelled barge. The latest ferry is the seventh to operate a vehicle service, connecting St Mawes and the Roseland Peninsula with Feock, Truro and Falmouth avoiding an alternative 27 mile detour by road. The garden is noted for its year round colour and superb views of the Fal estuary, one of the most beautiful estuaries in the country and Falmouth harbour.
In about 1750 a modest two-storey villa was built at Trelissick on the foundations of an earlier building. The estate was bought in 1800 by Thomas Daniell, a Cornish tin magnate, whose son, also Thomas, hired Peter Frederick Robinson to remodel the house in 1825. It was he, who added the columned portico which rises to the height of the south front. In 1832 Daniell sold Trelissick to the 1st Earl of Falmouth, the house later being acquired by the Gilbert Family of Eastbourne in Sussex and St Erth in Cornwall in 1844 who made great improvements to the grounds. They planted ornamental woodlands and some of the huge holm oaks and conifers in the garden. In 1920 the Gilberts sold to Leonard Daneham Cuncliff, his step daughter Mrs Ida Copeland inherited the estate in 1937. The House is not open to the public and is still occupied by members of the Copeland family who gifted 375 acres of parkland and 25 acres of gardens to the National Trust in 1955.The wonderful garden seen today was largely created by Mrs Ida Copel and her husband Mr Ronald Copeland but utilising the shelter belts planted by previous owners. Despite the mild Cornish climate the shelter is needed to protect the more exotic and delicate plants from the prevailing wind. The garden contains a great range of rhododendrons, azaleas, hydrangeas, camellias, flowering cherries, magnolias, eucalyptus, maples and exotic plants such as the ginkgo as well as many species of palm. There a vast number of mature trees as well as spacious lawns with splendid views. Donít miss the bridge over Ferry Road, (which naturally leads to the King Harry Ferry), to the Carcadden area of the garden which includes a superb wildflower meadow.