The Parish of South Huish lies in South Devon and comprises
of the inshore villages of South Huish and Galmpton together with the
coastal village of Hope Cove which is actually two villages - Outer
and Inner Hope. Hope Cove lies in the shelter of Bolt Tail on Bigbury
Bay whilst Galmpton and South Huish are both a mile inland up two parallel
valleys.The parish church of South Huish, St Andrew's was abandoned
in 1867 when it was decided that it was beyond economic repair for the
small population of South Huish. Instead a new church, housing the bells
from St. Andrew's along with its 14th cenury font, was built in Galmpton.
St. Andrew's was built in the 13th century with later improvements being
made in the 15th and 16th century. The ruins are now looked after by
the “Friends of Friendless Churches”. Part of their information
plaque reads "These remains of the 13th century church abandoned
in 1867, are leased to the Friends of Friendless Churches St.Ann's Vestry
Hall 2 Church Entry, London EC4 V5HB by whom gifts for their maintenance
will be gratefully received."