| The Church was first mentioned
in 1121 when it was given to Plympton Priory. On the Dissolution of the
monasteries the right of appointing the vicar was taken by the Crown.
There were earlier churches built on this remote site, to be near the
holy well of a 5th century Cornish saint. A little chapel was built over
the well in the 14th century and dedicated to St. Julian, patron saint
of ferrymen. The little chapel is still hidden in the woods, close to
the road leading up from Crernyll ferry. The present church building is
a typical 15th century Cornish church. It was time of much rebuilding
in the country, churches designed for preaching the word (the influence
of the Lollards) rather than stressing the liturgy. The aisles are the
same length as the nave and there is a massive western tower. The Edgcumbe
chapel was added in 1874.